Electric bikes are becoming increasingly popular all over the world, partly due to their efficiency and ease of riding and partly due to the many environmental benefits they offer.
Sometimes, you may want to transport your electric bike from one place to another and for that, you need a sturdy car rack that not only does the job efficiently but also ensures no damage to your bike along the way.
How to Pick the Best Car Racks for Electric Bikes with Regular Tires?
Picking the right car rack can make a big difference to the shelf-life of your bike, particularly if you are a traveling enthusiast and love going places and indulging in adventure.
The best e-bike racks are those that make it easy to mount the bike, are easy to store and also let you access the trunk of the car without removing the bikes. If the rack that you have in mind has these features, you are sorted.
Having said that, it is also crucial to note that these are hitch racks because we feel that roof racks are not the best bet for electric bikes given the weight and other considerations. We would recommend only picking hitch racks for bikes, even with regular tires.
While purchasing the car rack, also check the attachments you will be needing with your specific bike and budget everything together.
Finally, here are a few tips that would help you pick the best car rack for electric bikes with regular tires:
The Bike’s Weight
The weight of your bike is one of the most important factors to consider while picking up a car rack. If your bike is heavy, you need to pick a rack that is able to cater to that. Else, you will run into unnecessary hassles.
Trunk Access and Tilting
The tilting option is an important one as it offers you access to the trunk even when the bike is mounted. This is going to save you a lot of time, as you won’t have to remove the bike every time you want to access the trunk.
A rack with a folding feature saves space and is super convenient to use. Consider a situation where you have to park your vehicle in a cramped parking space. The folding feature will serve you well in such situations and save you unnecessary hassle and wastage of time.
Security is key to transporting your bike from one place to another. Therefore, you need to pick a car rack that has an anti-theft mechanism. This will keep it in one place and prevent it from getting damaged in any way.
If the rack you pick has interlocked reinforced arms that successfully pins your bike, you will be in a better place. This will prevent your bike from swinging while on the move and, therefore, save you costs from damages.
Best Car Racks for Electric Bikes with Regular Tires
We have curated a list of our favorite car racks for electric bikes with regular tires that you can consider buying.
- KAC Overdrive Hitch Mounted Rack
This car rack is available in two versions i.e. knob version and ratchet version and has a heavy load capacity.
The best part about this product is that it offers premium services at an affordable price thereby making it accessible to a number of people who are on a budget.
- It has a beautiful texture that is not only great to look at but also offers resistance against seasonal changes. It also keeps the bike secure, no matter how difficult the terrain you are navigating.
- It comes with holographic light reflectors that do not compromise on visibility even during the night.
- It is versatile and works with a number of vehicles.
- It has a strong foundation system that is robust enough to withstand a lot of weight.
- It is efficient at carrying two bikes together, each weighing 60 lb. It can easily be converted into a one-bike carrier as and when needed.
- It comes with a quick-release tilt design that never compromises your view of the trunk.
- It offers an excellent warranty which inadvertently adds to your confidence in the product’s quality.
- It is equipped with an anti-wobble system that secures your bike during transportation.
- It comes with a foldable design that can be angled down easily and also takes less storage space.
- It is incredibly easy to use and install as most of the parts are pre-installed.
- This is an anti-sway bike rack that would ensure your bike is fixed in a spot and doesn’t sway from one place to another while on the move.
- It offers value for money.
- It has limited adapter usage and cannot be used with a 1-1/4″ to 2″ adapter.
- The use of the fifth wheel and RV is prohibited in this car rack.
- Saris Superclamp EX-2
This is one of the best car racks for electric bikes out there. The quality of the product can be gauged by several positive user testimonies. The product has stood the test of time and emerged as a great option for people looking for a car rack for their bike.
If you are looking for a sturdy yet lightweight option, it can’t get better than this. Check it out!
- It can carry up to two bikes, each weighing around 60 lb each. The best part is the rack can also be adjusted to carry one bike if you want that. It is multipurpose and that just adds to the appeal.
- It comes with ratcheting straps that can provide security to any bike.
- It offers a lifetime warranty, which is a big draw.
- It comes with twin-wheel fastening hooks which ensure there is no frame contact with your bike. You will, therefore, be spared the thoughts of any potential damages during the transportation.
- The design is sophisticated and sturdy. It is lightweight but can easily carry heavy loads.
- It has a tilting feature that instantly elevates the appeal of any car rack.
- It is foldable and therefore, you can keep it folded when not in use saving space.
- It comes equipped with an anti-theft option that keeps your bike safe and secure.
- The rack has reflectors added to it that give a lot of visibility day and night.
- It is built in a way that makes loading and unloading easy and fast. You won’t need additional help with this.
- In order to stop the bike from swaying while transportation, you may need to purchase an additional wrench to lock the pin in place.
- Though it is foldable, it is still big and you need a decent amount of space to store it.
- Swagman Hitch Mount Bike Rack
If you are looking for a high-quality budget buy, this rack will not disappoint you. It is affordable and versatile and works as well with fat tires as with regular ones.
In case you ever make the switch to a different bike, you won’t have to worry about changing the rack yet again.
- Its versatility is its strength and it works with a number of bikes right from regular tire bikes to fat-tire bikes.
- It is incredibly easy to assemble and if you follow the instructions carefully on the manual, you won’t run into any issues.
- It is foldable and doesn’t add to your storage woes.
- It provides security to the bike while on the move.
- It is capable of carrying two bikes together, each weighing 60 lbs.
- The ratchet hooks offer security to the frame of the bike and keep it unblemished even while transporting it through the most difficult terrains.
- The key and lock that come with the ratchet hook keep the bike safe from theft.
- It has a tilting feature that does not obstruct your view of the trunk. This makes it easy while traveling because you won’t have to remove the bike every time you need to access the trunk.
- It is composed of steel in its entirety and this adds to its robustness and durability. Instead of a plastic tray, it has a metal wheel tray that adds to its appeal.
- Despite being a budget option, it can compete with several high-priced products and that speaks of its quality.
- The rack may emit a minor rattling sound when crossing a patchy terrain.
The Parting Words
We hope you like the options we have suggested above. These products have stood the test of time and satisfied several customers. You can also go with a product that is not on the list as long as you weigh your needs and product specifications well.
A car rack is a significant investment and can even work when you change your e-bike. Therefore, we would highly recommend taking a long-term view while picking one for yourself.