Basketball is one of the most popular sports out there. It is played at all levels from schools and colleges to professional levels. It can be played both indoors and outdoors and lighting plays a key role. Lighting has to be adequate to ensure that the players can see the ball properly.
Outdoor Basketball Court Lighting: What Works the Best?
LED lights and metal halide lights are most commonly used in outdoor basketball courts. This is because they are efficient, save energy and also improve the visibility on the court.
Here are a few things you need to keep in mind while picking lights for the outdoor basketball court:
LED lights are more efficient than traditional bulbs and offer high efficacy ratings. You ought to go for a LED light with higher efficiency because that is going to last you longer and will be more effective.
IP Rating and Surge Protection
Basketball court lighting must be IP rated to make allowances for bad weather conditions. Generally, the ideal or desired IP rating is IP65. Furthermore, you should also factor in surge protection while picking a light for your outdoor basketball court.
Surge protection is important because a sudden change in the electricity supply can fuse the LED light. When you buy a surge-protected LED light, you will be saving a lot of hassle and reputation.
Lights with the right color temperature, ideally around 5000K, are ideal for outdoor basketball courts. This is because this temperature is closest to daylight. If your preference is warmer, you can for a color temperature of 4000K.
Strong glare becomes an issue for players when they are on the court. This is why you need to have a robust anti-glare system in place.
Cameras on the basketball court usually lead to low-quality strobe. This is why you must at least go for an LED light that supports 6000 fps video shooting. Just make sure that the flicker rate is less than 0.3%.
Why Should You Select LED Lights for Your Outdoor Basketball Court?
LED lights are most commonly used in outdoor basketball courts. There is a reason for the same. Let us find out what makes LED lights tick!
- LED lights are equipped with a great heat sink system that makes them durable and long lasting.
- They have a longer shelf life as opposed to more traditional lights. This brings down your maintenance costs in the long run.
- LED lights are energy efficient and this happens to be their biggest draw. They save energy as opposed to traditional bulbs.
- LED lights come in a wide range of wattage and this just increases your options.
- It is easy to replace LED lights and they are also easy to install.
Best Lights for Outdoor Basketball Court
Now that you know some features that are absolutely necessary to look for in lighting for an outdoor basketball court, what are the lights that have that? Here are a few lights for an outdoor basketball court that you can consider.
- Goalrilla LED Basketball Hoop Light
The Goalrilla LED Basketball Hoop Light is one of the best outdoor basketball court lights that you can invest in. With an innovative design, they have lots to offer and are easy to install and change the bulb if needed.
- Effective in illuminating the rim, backboard and court.
- Features an innovative design that extends over the top of the hoop. This is ideal for safety and function.
- Has excellent light positioning that falls on the court and illuminates it rather than the eyes of the players.
- Compatible with a number of hoops and not merely restricted to Goalrilla hoops.
- Easy to install and adjust depending on the size and type of your outdoor court.
- Value for money and offers a number of features without causing a big dent in your pocket.
- Compatible with a number of in-ground hoops.
- Long lasting.
- Innovative design that works for a number of courts.
- Helps maximize practice time because of its efficacy and longevity.
- Offers free returns.
- It would not work on a round pole.
- Onforu 150W LED Flood Light
- Equipped with over 160 ultra-bright LED bulbs that make it efficient in producing 15,000 lm brightness.
- Works well in bad weather courtesy IP66 waterproof light.
- It has wide application and can be deployed both indoors and outdoors.
- The lights feature a protective rim angle that protects the light from being broken.
- Features a thickened bracket that allows you to put the light in its place firmly and reliably.
- It is shadow-free and sports 120-degree beam angles that make it efficient in total illumination.
- Offers a color temperature of 5000K white light that resembles sunlight.
- A prolonged lifespan of over 50,000 hours.
- Easy installation that can be done simply following the manual. You won’t need additional outside help and would thereby save on costs.
- The price at which this light comes is literally a steal. You won’t get better value for money.
- Offers flexible adjustment, up to 180 degrees.
- Excellent heat dissipation.
- Looks beautiful and has a thick metal frame that adds to its robustness.
- Some customers have faced issues with the light for not being as waterproof as advertised.
- LED Flood Light 300W
- Bright and energy-saving light that can help players play their game without any problems.
- Has a lumen count of 36,000 that ends up saving at least 80% of energy.
- Offers low power consumption performance and you end up saving on electricity bills as a result.
- Offers excellent heat dissipation.
- Armed with IP65 rating.
- Comes with a wide beam angle of 90 degrees.
- Comes with an adjustment angle of 180 degrees that makes mounting the light easy and convenient.
- Comes with a five-year warranty.
- Multiple installation options are available and the lights can be mounted on the ceilings, ground, walls and poles.
- Long lasting, durable and has a lifespan of over 50,000 hours.
- Premium color temperature of 5000K.
- It is efficient and waterproof and offers excellent protection against bad weather.
- It has a robust aluminum frame that makes the floodlight durable.
- Lightweight and excellent at dissipating heat.
- It is expensive and may not suit the budgets of a lot of people.
- LEPOWER 100W LED Flood Light
- Thanks to the high-quality LED chips that light this, the floodlight offers 100W brightness and shadow-free lighting.
- Offers 80% savings on electricity bills and a wide illuminating range.
- Comes with a color temperature of about 6000K – 6500K (white light).
- Made up of aluminum and tempered glass that makes the light robust and durable.
- IP66 waterproof rating that offers protection against bad weather and allows you to enjoy a game when the weather is not at its best.
- FCC certified that guarantees safety.
- Comes with a shelf life of over 30,000 hours.
- Adept at producing 9,000-10,000 lumens of brightness.
- Energy efficient.
- Saves money on electricity bills.
- You don’t have to worry about overheating because these lights are equipped with a multi-groove radiator on the back.
- It comes with a flexible metal stand that offers multifaceted mounting options.
- The light comes with a protective edge design that makes it immune to breaking and shattering. Hence, you can be sure that the light is going to last you longer.
- Value for money.
- Some customers have found issues with the quality, though there have been quick refunds from the manufacturer.
The Final Word
Choosing the right light for an outdoor basketball court can make a big difference to your game. In the absence of proper light, players may not enjoy the game and can even get injured.
You should, therefore, take into account a number of factors that we have listed above to choose the right one. If you are convinced and like the products we have picked, do not forget to share the recommendations with friends and family.