An electric bike conversion kit can easily help you convert your older bike into an electric one so that you can make it last longer while also improving the overall efficiency. Electric bikes can also be a lot better for the environment as compared to cars.
There are several electric bike conversion kits that you can buy for your existing bike.However, it can be confusing to choose a good one. Which leads to the question, what is the best electric bike conversion kit? To help you out, we have found the best electric conversion kit and listed down its details. Let’s take a look!
What Is the Best Electric Bike Conversion Kit?
Let’s take a detailed look at the best electric bike conversion kit as well as some of its features, pros, and cons so that you can make a decision about buying it.
BAFANG BBS02B 750W Electric Bike Conversion Kit
The BAFANG BBS02B Electric Bike Conversion Kit can be a great option to convert compatible bikes, such as road bikes and mountain bikes. Ideally, a bottom bracket of 68-73 mm can work for this kit.
It comes with several accessories that you can use to install the given equipment as well as the battery. Installation instructions are also provided in the kit that you can then go through to make the process simpler.
The motor comes with 750 watts of power, making it sufficient and suitable for your bike. You can also buy a battery along with this purchase by selecting the voltage and size of your choice.
- Material: The frame material of this electric bike conversion kit is carbon fiber. This material gives stability and efficiency to the accessories.
There are several other pieces of equipment included that come with durable material that can resist harsh conditions while also being able to work efficiently with compatible bike frames.
- Multiple Sizes: There are multiple sizes that you can choose from when it comes to the battery and the chainring.
For instance, the chainring is available in 44T and 46T sizes. Similarly, the ideal voltage of the battery is 48V but you can also opt for different capacities depending on your bike.
- Conversion Accessories: The accessories that are a part of this conversion kit include a motor, e-brake, pedal sensors, magnet poles, speed sensor, front lamp, gear sensor, brake levers and multiple pins.
You can also choose a battery that additionally comes with its charger, plate and power cable.
- Two-Riding Mode: This conversion kit can provide a two-riding mode. These two modes include an electric bike option as well as a simple pedal bicycle that can serve you well for both, easily navigable traffic along with sufficient exercise.
The power of the motor can ensure that the bike is not too fast.
- Easy Installation: The installation of all the required equipment is a simple and quick process. It comes with the tools to help you remove the centerpieces of the bike and install the motor. Other mounting equipment is also included. The battery also comes with mounting holes that you can fit onto your bike.
- Extras: Along with the motor, sensors and battery equipment, several extra accessories are also included such as a waterproof cable, cranks, lock nuts, headlight, power extension cord, magnets and more.
It further includes an instruction manual that you can use to figure out the process.
A chainwheel and LCD display are other optional features.
- It comes with all the required mounting equipment and accessories that can make installation easier.
- An instruction manual is included that highlights all the steps required for installation. You can also gain access to a video through a code.
- Next, you can use two different riding modes that can give you a smooth ride while still allowing you to get some exercise through the pedals.
- You can pick your choice of chainring as well as battery capacity and voltage to meet your requirements.
- It comes with a one-year warranty in case you need to seek repairs and replacements within that time period.
- It can be a bit expensive to purchase the entire kit with the battery.
- You might need to manually change the mounting holes in case they do not fit on your bike.
Other Electric Bike Conversion Kit Options
While the aforementioned conversion kit is the best choice, there are several other options that you can consider in case it does not work for you. These all come with similar features but there are bound to be slight differences among them.
You can find out more about these through their product pages but, for now, we can take a brief look at each of them here.
AW 48V 1000W Electric Bicycle Motor Kit
This conversion kit comes with a 1000 W motor that can provide great power to your bicycle. It includes an aluminum alloy frame that can make the bike last longer.
A dual-mode controller, thumb throttle, battery monitor, brakes, sensors and cables are all part of the purchase. Additionally, you also get a 26-inch rear wheel for easier functioning.
However, the battery and charger are not included and you will need to buy compatible ones separately.
EBIKELING Waterproof Ebike Conversion Kit
This conversion kit also comes with a wheel. In this case, however, you can choose the style depending on your requirements. You can opt for either a front or rear wheel for your bike.
You can easily install the given equipment that includes a controller, throttle, brake levers, pedal-assist sensors, LCD display and more. The motor offers a power of 1200W.
Swytch Universal eBike Conversion Kit
The Swytch Universal eBike Conversion Kit is light and compact and can work with most kinds of bikes.
It comes with a quiet and efficient brushless motor, a lithium-ion power pack, a motor wheel, pedal sensors, a connecting bracket, mounting tools and more.
It can also function well with disc brakes. There is, however, a sign-up requirement and waiting list for this conversion kit.
Things to Consider
There are several things to consider when you are looking for the best electric bike conversion kit that can help you make a good decision. Let’s take a look at some of these factors in detail.
There are several conversion kits that do not include a battery with the purchase, which can make it slightly inconvenient when it comes to finding a new battery and charger from scratch that is also compatible with the conversion kit and your bicycle.
This can make the process much longer and more expensive. For this reason, it would be better if the conversion kit you opt for includes a battery and other accessories in the purchase or at least provides you with several options for buying one as part of your purchase.
You can then easily install the battery while ensuring compatibility.
- What kind of conversion kit are you looking at?
2. What accessories does it include?
3. What kind of installation process is required and how will you carry it out?
Keep all these questions in mind while buying a conversion kit. Your kits might either come with a front or rear wheel that you can easily replace with the original wheel to create stability.
In some cases, there might be multiple tools and no wheel which can work equally well for you. These tend to focus the weight on another part of the bicycle for a smooth ride.
How much power does the motor of the conversion kit supply? This power can help determine the speed and running of your bicycle after conversion. However, you can generally opt for any kind of wattage as long as it meets your requirements for riding and commuting.
In this sense, a 750-watt bicycle can work perfectly as well. Additionally, anything beyond 750 watts will require you to purchase a license in the United States.
There are several different local and state-wise laws and regulations that you should look into before buying an electric bike conversion kit. For instance, some cities or states may have prohibited e-bikes or put certain restrictions in place.
Make sure you are aware of the restrictions, rules, speed limits, power wattage limitations, license rules and more so that you can ride your electric bike without getting into legal hassles.
There might also be designated paths for riding your bike which you must follow at all times.
Through this guide, we have now provided you with all the relevant information about the best electric bike conversion kit, including its features, pros and cons. This kit will work well for you, but if you want to look at some other options, we have included a few more choices as well that you can find out more about.
Along with these options, we also provided a brief buying guide so that you can keep all the given factors in mind while buying a good conversion kit for yourself.
Make sure you look into all the customer reviews of these products as well so that you get a better idea about how they work.